Skip to main content

Kasparov and Computer Chess

No, this blog is not about the match between Kasparov and Deep Blue back in the 90's. Rather, my interest for this blog post was to see just quite how good computers are nowadays (almost 20 years after the Deep Blue matches). So, I had my Chess Program (Fritz 12) on my desktop PC analyze what is widely considered the greatest game of chess ever played. Now, I do not have the multi-processor version of Fritz, but I thought the commercial version would be good enough (and it is). The game I'm about to go through was played at the Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands Super GM Tournament in 1999. Garry Kasparov played white. The move I set my computer to do a deep positional analysis of was 24. Rxd4. Kasparov offers a rook for a pawn. This sacrifice is SOOOOOO deep. Black regretfully accepted and Kasparov got a winning position almost 20 moves later. Experts use to believe that computers will never be able to match the power of the human mind as far as chess is considered. But now the question is not can a computer win a match against the best human player, rather the question is can a human win just one game against a computer. I believe the answer is "no", or will soon be "no" if not already.

What was interesting to see was what my computer had to say about the game. And, YES, it saw the move 24. Rxd4 !! I was very surprised. In fact, it even decided not to make the rook sacrifice because black is better off refusing to take the rook and playing 24 ...Kb6 instead. So, my computer suggests instead of the rook sacrifice to continue 24.Nc6+. And another question, if 24.Nc6+ was technically a better move then is this really the best game of chess ever played? I'll leave that for you to decide.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 2016 STL Chess Club Thanks Giving Open

I was satisfied with my results in last weekend's tournament. I got really discouraged after a heart-breaking loss in round 2 to a player rated 300 points higher than me. I call it "heart-breaking" because for a while I was up a pawn and had the advantage. I got too exhausted by the time we reached the endgame, and I lost my ability to focus. I caughed up a couple of pawns and resigned. I imagine if I could have won that game I would have had much better results for this tournament. But, I was still satisfied with myself because I came out of this tournament with a positive score (more wins than losses).

I think I may have over-done it by going to two major tournaments within a couple weeks of each other when I haven't been very active in tournament chess over the past few years. Oh well, I learned a lot.

I must also add that I defeated two children (rounds 1 & 6). Why do I mention this? Because when I play kids in the 7 - 11 age range I usually do rea…