Skip to main content

Philidor and Lucena Positions (Rook and Pawn Endgames)

These are two basic and fundamental positions of chess endgames. Knowledge of these positions are highly important. I first heard about them in Jeremy Silman's "The Reassess Your Chess Workbook".

The first position is called the Philidor position and it is always a draw.


After 1.d6 the pawn is too far advanced and Black can just keep delivering checks from the bottom rank as white can no longer hide behind the pawn because of Black's King. The game is drawn. ---------- The next position is called the Lucena Position and it is a win for White. White wins through the method of "Building a bridge" which is simply bringing the King and Rook together so that the White King can be saved from perpetual checks by using his rook to block the check.


The second move Rf4 looks strange. But, it is the winning move because when white's King comes to d5 he can block the check from black's rook by Rd4 and white wins. Also note that 1... Ke6 fails to 2.Ke8. Thanks for reading and I encourage you to buy a copy Jeremy Silman's "The Reassess your Chess Workbook". It is probably the best chess book ever written. Seriously.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 2016 STL Chess Club Thanks Giving Open

I was satisfied with my results in last weekend's tournament. I got really discouraged after a heart-breaking loss in round 2 to a player rated 300 points higher than me. I call it "heart-breaking" because for a while I was up a pawn and had the advantage. I got too exhausted by the time we reached the endgame, and I lost my ability to focus. I caughed up a couple of pawns and resigned. I imagine if I could have won that game I would have had much better results for this tournament. But, I was still satisfied with myself because I came out of this tournament with a positive score (more wins than losses).

I think I may have over-done it by going to two major tournaments within a couple weeks of each other when I haven't been very active in tournament chess over the past few years. Oh well, I learned a lot.

I must also add that I defeated two children (rounds 1 & 6). Why do I mention this? Because when I play kids in the 7 - 11 age range I usually do rea…