Skip to main content

2014 Chicago Open

I finished this tournament 3.5/7. I had hoped on scoring a little higher but I gained 22 points total from the tournament. The competition was tough and the games were exhausting. I finished with 3 wins, 3 losses and 1 draw. Most of the players were rated higher than me and that's why I DID end up gaining 22 points ELO. I am now rated at 1598 and hope to make it into the next class (class B) after my next tournament - I only need two points for this.

Here is a key game from Round 2 that I would like to show. I call it a key game because if I lost it then that would mean I started out 0 and 2. This would have drained me of confidence for the rest of the tournament (maybe?). The game fizzled out after an extensive endgame. I was able to push my h pawn all the up the board with the protection of my Bishop and King. Black ended up resigning. I played the King's Indian Attack with white - starting out 1.Nf3.

On move 28, my opponent played the bizarre 28 ...Nxf4 which led to his demise.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The 2016 STL Chess Club Thanks Giving Open

I was satisfied with my results in last weekend's tournament. I got really discouraged after a heart-breaking loss in round 2 to a player rated 300 points higher than me. I call it "heart-breaking" because for a while I was up a pawn and had the advantage. I got too exhausted by the time we reached the endgame, and I lost my ability to focus. I caughed up a couple of pawns and resigned. I imagine if I could have won that game I would have had much better results for this tournament. But, I was still satisfied with myself because I came out of this tournament with a positive score (more wins than losses).

I think I may have over-done it by going to two major tournaments within a couple weeks of each other when I haven't been very active in tournament chess over the past few years. Oh well, I learned a lot.

I must also add that I defeated two children (rounds 1 & 6). Why do I mention this? Because when I play kids in the 7 - 11 age range I usually do rea…